Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Vibrant Contrasts… :)

Ok…So I thought I'd do something different today ( I finally have some time to get a post up ;)

   Aside from just posting pictures of my art, I realized I don't really post anything about myself, my over interests and activities.. a lot of it is just not feeling super comfortable just sitting here writing about myself…. but I realize there might be some of you who are interested in the "artist" as well as the art itself, and what I get some of my inspiration from. :)

   For those of you who don't know, I work at an Art Gallery.  Junction Gallery in Peoria, IL.  The Gallery is owned by my Father :) (This is him wresting a huge frame together) He's owned it for 16 years (give or take) so it's been in my life for a long time :) I've worked there on and off since I was a teenager.  Even before that I would go "work" with my Dad when I was young just to be there around him and the art, mostly him. ;) He was patient enough to let me rummage through the garbage and pick out old chunks of frame that I thought were just too neat to throw away. :) I developed quite a collection at home much to my mothers chagrin ;).  I remember going out and standing next to him when he helped customers, working with them and their sometimes difficult desires to achieve "that look" and was giddy when a lady who was waiting her turn at the design table saw me standing there and asked me if I could help her.  Trying to hide the enthusiasm that I felt at being treated like a "adult" I put on the most "professional demeanor" I could muster.  She was sweet to be patient with me as my hands were not quite big enough to fan out the mat color choices as dad did.  But I'll never forget that, just a simple and patient act by a woman who I only remember had dark hair that curled at the ends. :)
   I am by nature not really a people person, but theres something about designing and helping a person pick just what they want that I really enjoy.  Maybe it's because in that act of creating theres a release, something else in me that takes over.  (not that I'm super great at it by any means, and am constantly learning more and more about what different art requires from the other woman I work with, pictured above) Theres something about creating and working with my hands that I have a deep love for.  These hands that are now quite big enough to hold the stack of mat colors ;).

   It's working with my hands, i find, that motivates the kinds of things I do.

Other things I do…hmmm :) I actually went to collage for Sign Language Interpreting.  Something  I got into from my older sister and brother-in-law, but thats another story. :)
I Interpreted professionally for four years, but decided a couple years ago to put that on hold to help my Dad full time and not just in-between "terping" jobs.  I still Interpret a couple times a week for church activities though, and will always have a special love for it, for that "creating" with my hands in a different way.





This time of year when I'm not working, I'm outside in my garden :)….Oh, how I love my garden. :} black soil in my hands, watching things grow…I still marvel every time a new little plant sprouts up, matures and brings forth "fruit" from just a small seed.
Living in central IL, I'm surrounded by corn and bean fields and NEVER get tired of seeing the vibrant contrast of the fresh "new green" color against the dark soil.



The things you see that are made out of wood, are something else I enjoy doing...

                                          
   



      

Vibrant Contrasts… hmm I think that sums up what I like to achieve in my art, that same beautiful line that is created between light and shadow.  Pastel is one of the most vibrant mediums there is and I think thats one of the reasons I'm so drawn to it.  With it, to create that which is produced when the morning sun hits (literally, sometimes I hear a "POW" ;) the earth and makes everything turn a color for which there is no name.  I see joy, peace, love and faithfulness in this, and it encourages my heart.

"For the Lord God is a SUN and shield, the Lord gives grace and glory, no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly." Ps 84:12

So this is my way of sharing the "Sun" with you.
May it evoke thoughts that there IS One who designed and created its faithful light.

No comments:

Post a Comment